Buckeye Executive Network
Experienced entrepreneurs who have a desire to help advance Ohio State technologies can do so by becoming a member of the Buckeye Executive Network.
Central Ohio Ecosystem
Startups formed with Ohio State technology benefit from becoming part of the central Ohio entrepreneurial
- In 2017, Columbus ranked third on the Kauffman Foundation’s annual index of growth entrepreneurship — a measure of how hospitable a city is for high-growth startups — ahead of San Jose and San Francisco. That year, the Kauffman Foundation also named Columbus the top metropolitan area for scaling young companies.
- VentureOhio notes that more venture capital funding is flowing through Ohio than at any other point in the state’s history. In 2016, $470 million was invested in 210 startups, a 46 percent increase over the previous two years. Cited by Venture Beat magazine, Columbus was also one of the few U.S. cities to see its total number of startups raising their first round of venture capital financing grow over the past seven years.
According to Forbes and Venture Beat, a solid base in research and producing talent in Columbus has helped the city to grow in startup activity. Other key factors include:
- Location: nearly 50 percent of the U.S. population is within a day’s drive of Columbus.
- Access to corporate partners: Columbus has a large Fortune 1000 base, and many corporations are signing on to be startups’ first customers while also investing in them.
- Low operating costs: according to KPMG and EY, Columbus’ tax climate was ranked as one of the top three most business-friendly environments in the U.S. In comparison to traditional entrepreneurial hubs like New York City, Boston and Silicon Valley, Columbus offers comparatively low operating costs for businesses.
News & Events
COVID-19 Updates from Corporate Engagement Office
March 20, 2020
All staff in the Corporate Engagement Office are working from home to protect our customers and staff throughout the public health challenge presented by the COVI...
Startup Inventor Showcase Features Melissa Bailey on 3/16
March 2, 2020
The Center for Clinical and Translational Science Monthly Startup Inventor Showcase will feature Melissa Bailey, OD, PhD, on Monday, Mar. 16 at 7:30 a.m. in the J...