Learn about Ohio State's economic impact
For 150 years, The Ohio State University has been the stage for academic achievement and a laboratory for innovation. Ohio State is one of the nation’s largest and most comprehensive public research universities and, as such, has a significant impact throughout the state and in the broader region. This impact is broad-based, including on the local and state economy, on the development of the communities it serves, and on society in general. The impact of Ohio State is felt worldwide through a strong network of locations, innovation and talent.
A reach beyond The Oval. As Ohio's best and one of the nation's top-20 public universities, Ohio State is further recognized by a top-rated academic medical center and a premier cancer hospital and research center. Ohio State has a presence in every corner of the state through regional campuses, research centers and extension offices.
Innovation that impacts lives. Discoveries made by the brilliant researchers at Ohio State are making an impact. More than 600 innovations developed at Ohio State are licensed to companies helping develop them into beneficial products and services. Ohio State technology has also been the basis for more than 100 startup companies.
The power and talent of Buckeye Nation. Buckeyes around the world make a difference, too. Ohio State enrolls more than 68,000 students annually to 15 colleges and hundreds of degree programs. It employs more than 47,000 faculty and staff and has more than 580,000 alumni.
Economic engagement at Ohio State by the numbers:
- The university generates $15.2 billion in combined economic impact annually for the state of Ohio. This translates to more than $1.735 million in economic impact every hour of the year.
- The university supports 123,283 jobs throughout Ohio; 1 in every 57 jobs in the state is directly or indirectly supported or sustained by Ohio State.
- State and local government revenue attributable to the presence of the university totaled $679.5 million.
- For every dollar received by Ohio State from the state of Ohio, more than $1.06 is generated by the university in state and local taxes.
- The return on investment (ROI) for Ohio State is $23.83 for every dollar invested.
(Source: Tripp Umback Study: The Economic, Social, and Community Impact of The Ohio State University, 2019. Learn more about this study here)